Home » Statepractices » Respect For Individual Rights And Freedoms
About Reparation Law
Respect for Individual Rights and freedoms
The Rome Statute was based on respect for individual rights and freedoms and included mechanisms to ensure impartial justice, the ICC could not be viewed as an "extraordinary or special court", the latter being national courts which replace ordinary courts and which do not apply established legal procedures.
Article 75(2) of the Statute empowers the Court to make a reparations order against a convicted person, specifying reparations to, or in respect of, victims.
Article 75 - Reparations to victims
1. The Court shall establish principles relating to reparations to, or in respect of, victims, including restitution, compensation and rehabilitation. On this basis, in its decision the Court may, either upon request or on its own motion in exceptional circumstances, determine the scope and extent of any damage, loss and injury to, or in respect of, victims and will state the principles on which it is acting.
2. The Court may make an order directly against a convicted person specifying appropriate reparations to, or in respect of, victims, including restitution, compensation and rehabilitation.
3. Before making an order under this article, the Court may invite and shall take account of representations from or on behalf of the convicted person, victims, other interested persons or interested States.
4. In exercising its power under this article, the Court may, after a person is convicted of a crime within the jurisdiction of the Court, determine whether, in order to give effect to an order which it may make under this article, it is necessary to seek measures under article 93, paragraph 1
5. A State Party shall give effect to a decision under this article as if the provisions of article 109 were applicable to this article.
6. Nothing in this article shall be interpreted as prejudicing the rights of victims under national or international law.
Invest in a Judgment
Prospects:- International human rights treaties and instruments provide that victims of international crimes have the right to seek and obtain effective remedies for the violation of their rights. In honouring the victimsâ€™ right to benefit from remedies and reparation, the international community keeps faith with the plight of victims, survivors and future human generations and reaffirms international law in the field...International Courts and Tribunals
'Contact Us' with any relevant enquiries and we will endeavour to answer them at the earliest possible